Wednesday, January 23, 2008

ECO Wednesday - Plastic Planet

So with my sabbatical from blogging I haven't done anymore ECO Wednesdays so since it's Wednesday - let's go ECO!

Today it's all about the plastic bags. Did you know the average family brings home 1,000 bags every year. Most of those bags end up in land fills. That really adds up - 100 billion plastic bags are sent to landfill in the US each year.

In landfills, it can take up to 1000 years for a bag to decompose. Plastics don't biodegrade, they photo-degrade, breaking down into tiny toxic pieces that contaminate soil and water or harm wildlife.

Many stores, like Trader Joes, are selling reusable bags as a bandaid to this problem. Great idea! How can we get more people on board? The bags I have from Trader Joes are always in my trunk so that when I go grocery shopping I have them with me. But it would be great to have a bag I could keep in my purse for all of those other little trips. I have found some online and ordered some of the Chico bags today. I'll let you know how they are when I get them.

Baggu Bags
Chico Bags

The other pain is the plastic baggies for lunches! Greg and Kade both take sandwiches everyday. I found a reusable sandwich wrapper to try out for them. I've got one coming. As long as the boys don't lose it, not only we'll we be saving landfill space - we'll be saving money on those darn bags!

Wrap-n-Mat

So here's your challenge for the next week - should you chose to accept it - get some reusable bags and use them. Try to cut down on the plastic bags from the grocery store!

3 comments:

Bag Monster said...

So I take it you don't like single-use plastic bags? Nobody seems to want us around anymore... It's hard being a Bag Monster in the Age of Bag Bans! I can't even get a job because of convenient reusable bags like ChicoBags.
For a good laugh (at my expense), and to find out more about how life is getting tougher for Bag Monsters, go to my blog: http://www.BagMonster.com

Photolady said...

I bought one of those 'bunches up in your purse' bag from Lassens. I have to admit I don't use it enough.
Love to see you up and blogging again!

Laura said...

I'll accept your challenge Julie. I feel the guilt every time I use a plastic bag. Thanks for the links! It's great to see you blogging again, I have missed you!