Friday, December 30, 2005

No More Coincidences

The word coincidence is officially gone from my vocabulary. I am convinced now more than ever, that every step we take is directed. Every missed offramp has a purpose. Every annoyance that slows us down was placed there with a mission. Curious as to why....here goes.....


Kathy, Letty, Cathy and I went to P.F. Chang's to celebrate my birthday the other night. We had a great dinner but lots of little things happened which seemed totally inconsequential at the time, but now I realize they were HUGE factors in the Holy Cow portion of the night.

Some of the little things - Letty hit every red light on her way to pick all of us up making us 20 minutes late for our reservation - the appetizer chef was backed up so it took us longer to get our Lettuce Wraps than usual - in all we ended up spending 4 hours at the restaurant but it was 4 great hours!

Now the little things on the drive home - Kathy had to pick up Ken's car on the way home(because she didn't have time to do it with him that morning) so we we're trying to figure out which off ramp to take. She said "take off ramp #1" I said "no it's off ramp #2" so we bypassed #1 and got off at #2, which of course was the wrong off ramp (#1 was right - oops!).

Now the Holy Cow! - As we started trying to back track to where we were supposed to be we came to a red light at an intersection of a freeway overpass. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move, then the light turned green and I realized it was a person, over the fence standing on the edge of the overpass! I told the girls and they were like "are you sure?", "now way".....so we proceed to pick up Kathy's car and decide to drive back that way just to make sure that I was wrong. But I wasn't wrong - there was a guy standing on the edge of the overpass looking down, drinking a beer.....I freaked! I called 911 and we went and parked in an alley where we could still see him. It seemed like forever before the 1st sheriff arrived and even then the guy would not get off the overpass - he was a jumper! So we pulled out of the alley so we could ID ourselves to the police if necessary. They closed down the freeway...more and more police came....they were down on the freeway....on the hillside leading up to the overpass....around the guy trying to talk to him. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity - he got down! I can even find the right word to describe how this all felt!

Looking back on all the little things that happened I realize we were meant to be there. The red lights, little annoyances....if they hadn't have happened who knows...........


But leave it to Greg to be able to make me laugh last night - while we were in the alley waiting for the police to show up I called him. Told him what was happening and he says "Honey, you don't have to call and make up some crazy crap about why you're late. Just say you're late." Right about then the cops showed up and Kathy was yelling "there's the cops! they're going over to him!" Greg says, "See, I can even hear Kathy in the background egging you on."

Yesterday we found out that the guy is on a suicide watch somewhere. I'm praying for him, whoever he is, and his circumstances.

So my big point of the day.....Don't get mad when you hit all the red lights - there may be someone around the corner who needs you to be there!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, that is amazing that you were at the right place, right time!

Greg is too funny! I am glad it all worked out!

The Mom said...

Wow, i am a big believer in fate too but that is way too cool, you know you probably saved his life. Wow!!

Briana said...

OMG what a weird thing to happen. Glad you were able to save that guy! How scary! I agree with everything happens for a reason!

Emma said...

I totally agree that there are no coincidences.

Glad you were there to help that man.