Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Don't Mess With Me

So most of you that know me know that I do not love Chuck E. Cheese...too many germs....but because my children love it I relent. We joined some friends there this afternoon for what we hoped would be a fun time for the kids....but how quickly things can turn.

I glance up and there are 3 pre-teenish girls in the face of a sweet 9 year old boy. I call his name, the girls look at me and then walk away. I guess these girls had stuck their big ol hand in front of the camera when the boy's sister was taking a picture. He told them to stop so they follow him and proceed to intimidate him using these words, "You don't want to mess with us. We're bigger than you and we'll kill you."

Umhm....so the boy's mom and I went to find the girls...we do...start asking them what happened....they deny everything and I don't just mean deny, I mean disrespectfully deny ever even being by our table. Huh?? You looked right at me. But then their daddy shows up and decides getting in the face of a woman could be fun....he was very scary...I can definitely see where his daughters would have learned their intimidation skills.

The manager finally shows up....says he'll take care of it....pretty sure that these people were his family since he actually did nothing and they followed him around to the ice cream machine, getting tokens, etc. Before we left (which happened too early for my kids liking) I asked him if they were family, how did he take care of the situation, told him it looked funny that he now had these girls following him around the place, told him the girls continued to walk by our table giving us their go to hell looks....which by the way the girls told him that we were doing to them....yep...that's me....a 36 year old mom throwing down mad dogs to 12 year old girls!

So this whole situation opens up good conversation in the car on the way home. We talk about needing to be aware of our surroundings, that anyone can be a bully, when mommy says it's time to go there is a reason - not just spoiling your fun. Then it gets sticky. I tell them that when we pray together tonight we need to remember these girls and their dad....pray that something/someone will do something to touch their heart. "Why would I want to pray for them!?" is Kade's immediate response. "Well because that's what Jesus would do." What a lame answer! It's true, yes, but there's not a lot of meat there.

Then it gets me thinking about our discussions regarding hospitality during Soliton. One presenter said, "If someone asks if you're a Christian, tell them to ask your enemies." So today, these people were sort of my enemies...that's a bit strong of a word but you know what I mean. What did they think about me? How could I have extended hospitality? So I'm led to the writings of Luke:

Love for Enemies
27"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.
32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.


So for the rest of the day I am thinking....how could I have blessed these people? Do I really love them? How will be pray for them? Is there anything that we did do today that would have shown them a glimpse of the One we strive to follow? These will be the topic of conversation around our dinner table tonight!

2 comments:

Carolyn F said...

Thought provoking and well said.

chanel said...

wow .. sounds like quiet a situation! It was interesting reading your blog, as I tend to react before actually thinking along the path of what Jesus would do - I guess something I need to work on. You did a good job with challenge #2 - i found this one harder to do.