Sunday, August 27, 2006

Hotel Rwanda

I just finished watching Hotel Rwanda . It's taken me 2 days to watch. Last night I watched the first hour....then had to stop.....my mind was reeling and my heart was wrenched. There were many nightmares that followed during the long night.

This afternoon I feel sick....sick that something of this magnitude happened and I only knew bits and pieces of it. I don't care if the UN or foreign governments chose not to call it genocide....how they couldn't I have no idea. 800,000 men, women and children slaughtered with clubs and machetes over a 100 day period....that's 8,000 souls lost each day. And why? Because their identity card labeled them as Tutsi....one word....a word that meant indescriminate death.

If you're not familiar with the Rwandan Genocide here's a timeline of the inaction of the UN and every other country of the world. It's a total outrage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard of this movie, but not much more. I do have some opinions about the UN, though.

I'll have to look into it when I'm feeling emotionally strong. Thanks for bringing it up.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

try 'shooting dogs', it almost makes hotel rwanda look tame